Monday, January 29, 2007

Season 2 - The Epilogue

Hi all!

What a wild and crazy 10 days I spent in Park City - playing "John Henry," hanging out with Antonio Banderas, seeing some great movies, seeing some not-so-great movies, catching up with friends from last year, making new friends this year. There is definitely something unique about the Sundance Film Festival experience and I'm so glad that I've been able to be a part of it for the past two years. I hope you've been enjoying my daily musings as well.

As promised, here is the ranking of the movies that I saw during the festival. Sleep deprivation may have lowered the ratings of some of these movies (except for "Hounddog" - that was just bad).

5 stars:

1. The Nines

4 1/2 stars:

2. Waitress
3. Teeth (star Jess Weixler won a Special Jury Prize for Acting)

4 stars:

4. Angel-A
5. Year of the Dog
6. Delirious
7. Chasing Ghosts (incorrectly named "Catching Ghosts" in the first missive I sent out)

3 1/2 stars:

8. The Savages
9. The Good Night
10. Eagle vs. Shark
11. Dark Matter
12. Grace is Gone (winner of Audience Dramatic Award and the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award)
13. Smiley Face
14. Weapons

3 stars:

15. The Go-Getter
16. The Good Life
17. Fay Grim
18. Banished

2 1/2 stars:

19. Joshua (winner of award for Excellence in Cinematography - Dramatic)
20. Fido

2 stars:

21. Hounddog


It was kind of nice that I wasn't turned away from any movies this year, which I think is due to better time management on my part. There are a couple of movies that were getting a lot of buzz, but that I didn't get to see, because it didn't work out with my schedule - "Rocket Science" and "Son of Rambow" - I hope to see them in the future if/when they get released.

Like last year, I did not see any of the short film programs, since most of them are available on the sundance website. Check some of them out if you get a chance... http://festival.sundance.org/2007/watch/index.aspx. (The following short films won jury prizes or honorable mentions: "Everything Will Be Ok," "The Tube with a Hat," "Death to the Tinman," "The Fighting Cholitas," "Men Understand Each Other Better," "Motodrom," "Spitfire 944," "t.o.m.," and "Freeheld.")

Thanks again for reading the missives and for your feedback. If anyone is interested in volunteering for next year's Sundance Film Festival, let me know if you have any questions and you can check out the application at http://festival.sundance.org/2007/festival/volunteers.aspx.

Finally, I have compiled a few more Sundance photos at: http://picasaweb.google.com/ted.macgovern/Sundance2007Faves?authkey=xbOZQY1dECA

Your 2007 Sundance Correspondent,
Ted

No comments: