Friday, January 19, 2007

Season 2, Episode 1 (1/19/07)

Hi all!

Well, I had a fun-filled day of training yesterday. It was good to get a refresher about everything that we need to do. Now if we can just remember how to put it into action during our first shift tonight.

I saw a couple movies last night. Last night was the opening night film of the festival. Since only one film is showing, they try to keep the volunteers from over-running the place by giving us our own screenings of two other films from the festival. They showed two films that I would not have picked out of the guide to see on my own, but I'm glad I saw them because they were both really good.

The first movie was called "Chasing Ghosts" and it is a documentary about people who were very serious about arcade gaming in the early 80s. The title refers to the object of Pac-Man. It showed parts of the lives of people who were ultra-competitive and lived to get the highest scores on a wide variety of arcade games. It also focussed on where they are in they're lives at the present time. It was a very fun and funny documentary. 4 stars (out of five).

The second movie was a French film entitled "Angel-A." It's about a desperate guy living in Paris who is about to throw himself into the Seine when he encounters an angel who helps him to see the beauty of his life. Ok, that description made it sound very trite, but it really wasn't an episode of Touched By An Angel. Even though it was filmed in black and white and had elements of "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Splash," it had a very modern feel to it. The film was directed by Luc Besson and it certainly was unlike any of his other movies that I've seen. Again it wasn't something that I was planning to see, but I'm glad I did. 4 stars.

Today, I saw a couple of interesting films. I saw "Weapons" which starred Paul Dano (from "Little Miss Sunshine") and Nick Cannon. It was very violent and intense and the story was told a rather non-linear fashion. The camerawork was very shaky which was a little annoying (and could probably give some people motion sickness). The director and many of the actors were there for a Q&A session afterwards. I'll give it 3 1/2 stars.

Then I went to see the North American premiere of "Delirious," starring Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, and Alison Lohman. This movie was a little bit of everything - comedy, drama, suspense. The story involved a young homeless guy (Pitt) who befriends a papparazzi photographer (Buscemi) and falls in love with a Britney Spears-type character (Lohman). Well-acted and a good story. 4 stars. Steve Buscemi was there, along with some other cast members (David Wain, Gina Gershon).

My first shift starts in about an hour. Wish me luck!

Your Sundance correspondent,

Ted

PS - I've attached a few photos from today's films.



Cast of "Weapons" Adam Bhala Lough (Director), Paul Dano, Nick Cannon, Mark Webber:





"Weapons" star Nick Cannon:





"Delirious" stars Steve Buscemi and Gina Gershon:

No comments: