Saturday, January 20, 2007

Season 2, Episode 2 (1/20/07)

Hi everyone!

We survived our first night of box office work at the Prospector Square Theater. Just like last year, the first night was plagued with computer problems. However, since my box office mate, Karen, and I are old pros, it didn't freak us out like it did last year. Let's just hope the computers are up and running tonight.

Since we are working until 2am, it can be rather ambitious to get up for an 8:30am screening. Unfortunately, that may be the only to time for me to see some of the movies I want to. Today was one of those days when I went to an early screening of "The Savages." It is a funny and heartwrenching story of two siblings (Laura Linney and Philip Seymour Hoffman) who must come together to care for their distant father who is starting to suffer from dementia. The acting was superb and it kept me interested even on very little sleep. 3 1/2 stars (out of five). The cast and director were supposedly at the premiere last night, but they couldn't be bothered to wake up for this early screening. Boo! Hiss! Must have been some party!

I was still feeling ambitious, so I then went to see "The Good Life," about a young guy who lives in a small Nebraska town and has to take care of many people in his life, including his recently widowed mother and an old friend who runs an old movie theater and is suffering from dementia. (It's Dementia Day at Sundance!) Again, the acting was great in this one, but it really could have used some editing down. It starred Mark Webber (who I hadn't heard of before, but he was also in "Weapons" that I saw yesterday), Zooey Deschanel, Patrick Fujit, Chris Klein (he was made to look very ugly in this movie, but he is very pretty in real life - see attached photos), Bill Paxton, Drea de Matteo, Donal Logue, and Harry Dean Stanton. Mark, Zooey, Patrick, and Chris were all there for a Q&A after the film. Way to support your film! (I'm still upset with you, Laura and Philip!) 3 stars for "The Good Life."

After that, it was time for a necessary nap. Now, I'm refreshed and ready to head into work again. Maybe I'll sleep in tomorrow.

Until the next episode...

Your Sundance correspondent,

Ted

PS - In the attached photos, I'm not sure why Zooey looks so frightened in the picture with me. She was really very pleasant and smily when I talked to her.


"The Good Life" cast, Steve Berra (Director), Patrick Fujit, Zooey Deschenal, Mark Webber, and Chris Klein:



"The Good Life" Chris Klein:



"The Good Life" Patrick Fujit:



"The Good Life" Zooey Deschanel:



"The Good Life" a frightened Zooey and Ted:

No comments: