Saturday, January 28, 2006

Season 1, Episode 9 - 1/28/2006

Hi everyone,

A couple more movie reviews from yesterday and today.

During my volunteer shift yesterday, I was able to see most of one of the screenings of "Forgiving the Franklins." This was an odd little film about a conservative Christian family who are in a car accident and then they live in a near-death state where their thoughts of original sin have been removed. They become very free and open and liberal, much to the shock and dismay of their neighbors. It was very funny at times as it skewered both liberal and conservative values. 3 1/2 stars (out of five).

I just saw a showing of a Filipino film called "The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros." This was really well-done and it would be great if it gets picked up for U.S. distribution. The story is about a young, feminine Filipino boy named Maxi who falls in love with a local police officer. There is a lot of conflict with this because his family is in trouble with the law. The movie was both funny and tragic. 4 1/2 stars.

I will write my final thoughts and reviews once I return home tomorrow.

Your Sundance correspondent,
Ted

No comments: